Like most of the insurance-related questions, there is no definitive answer to "Does homeowners insurance cover kitchen cabinets."
Well, generally speaking it does cover them. However, it might not cover them the way you want.
Kitchen Cabinets Insurance Coverage
Let's explain this with an example. Suppose, water leakage or termite or any other thing has damaged two of the 10 cabinets in your kitchen. You call the insurance people and they come to visit. The first thing they will look into, will be the cause of the damage.
Kitchen Cabinet Damage Causes
If the damage to the kitchen cabinets is caused by the following, it is mostly covered:
- Sudden water leakage due to plumbing failure.
- Chronic water leakage that was not immediately obvious.
- Fire or any other thing out of the control of the homeowner.
There are some cases where you, as a homeowner might not be entitled to any compensation by the insurance provider. These include:
- Damage caused by any cause that you could've prevented.
- Damage caused by progressive failure of plumbing that could have been mitigated early on.
- Gradual damage to cabinets due to routine usage ro ageing.
If the insurance company infers that the cause of the damage to your kitchen cabinets is covered, then comes the next step. They decide whether the kitchen cabinets need repair or need to be replaced altogether. The important things to note here are:
- They will try to repair the cabinets if that is possible.
- Even if they agree on replacement, you will only be funded for the two damaged cabinets and not the other ones.
- It is not the responsibility of the insurance provider to match the color scheme of your kitchen.
So the answer to "does homeowners insurance cover kitchen cabinets," is yes it does but only if it is caused by something not in control of the owner and the insurer is only responsible to pay you for the damaged cabinets and the others will not be replaced.
How to Get the Maximum Compensation for Damaged Kitchen Cabinets?
If you want to get the maximum legally possible compensation for your damaged kitchen cabinets, you need someone who can do two things for you.
- They must be able to read and understand the insurance policy to find out "does homeowners insurance cover kitchen cabinets" in your case.
- They must be able to prove that the damage to your kitchen cabinets has actually occurred.
That someone is called a public adjuster. They can not only make it possible for you to get the most out of your insurance, but can also make it possible for you to get it in less than the average time taken to settle a property claim.
If you are worried about paying them, don't be! They'll only charge a fee once you agree on a compensation from the insurer. They even review your policy and make a tentative estimate of the damages for free.
ACI Adjustment Group ServicesACI Adjustment group provides assistance with insurance claim investigation in storm, fire, water damage, and all other common insurance claims. The services we provide include:
- Insurance policy review to help you understand the terms and conditions of your insurance policy.
- Evaluating damages that are covered under your insurance policy.
- Proving the damages done to your property so that you get claim money according to the damage.
- Following up with your insurance claim process to get it processed fast.