Water damage is one of the most common causes of damage to property in the US. As a matter of fact, this is the single most reported damage and also the most claimed one.
Water damage to kitchen cabinets can be caused by a number of different reasons and not all are covered by all insurance policies.
Let's see what is generally covered and what you are entitled to if you have water damage to your kitchen.
Types of Water Damage To Kitchen Cabinets Insurance
Even though the extent of water damage to kitchen cabinets insurance coverage under every insurance policy is vastly different, here are some causes of water damage that are almost always covered.
- Broken or bursted pipe.
- Faulty kitchen appliances like water heaters, dishwashers, and washing machines.
- Drain overflow caused by a sump pump or sewer line fault within the property.
- Leaking rain water.
- Roof leaks and ice dams.
- Plumbing leaks, in case they are quickly discovered and corrected.
Types of Water Damage to Kitchen Cabinets Insurance Not Covered
There are some types of water damage that are attributed to the negligence of the homeowner and are hence not covered by most insurance policies. These include:
- Water damage caused gradually by an on-going leak or water seepage over an extended period of time.
- Damage caused by lack of maintenance or misuse of appliances or plumbing fixtures.
- Back ups from drains, sump pump, or sewer lines outside the property.
You Can Get Water Damage to Kitchen Cabinets Insurance Claim for These Too!! Let's See How
Some insurance policies can cover water damage caused by these reasons as well. You need someone to have a closer look at your insurance agency for you to find out what is covered.
The things that can go in your favour are:
- You are not supposed to rip out dry walls and inspect leaks behind them. Gradual leaks only become visible once the damage has been done.
- The source of the plumbing leak is important. If it is hidden, you have a better chance of getting an insurance adjustment.
- Signs of the water damage are also a deciding factor, whether it is an ongoing thing or a recent one.
- Signs of corrosion or other types of damage to plumbing that the owner could have mitigated earlier.
What Will the Water Damage to Kitchen Cabinets Insurance Cover If They Decide You are Entitled to a Claim?
Once the insurer acknowledges that you are entitled to a claim, the next thing is what is covered by them? Most of the insurance policies cover three types of expenses.
This is the basic level of coverage and is always covered. It includes the repair or replacement of the structure of your home like the cabinets or any other part.
Personal Property Coverage
This is not always covered and depends mostly on the terms of your insurance policy. It covers the costs of repair/replacement of furniture, electronics, and appliances damaged due to water leakage.
These expenses are not generally covered but some policies might cover these. These include the cost of gas, rent, food, hotel bills, and any other expenditure that you might accrue if you have to relocate during the repair of your property.
ACI Adjustment Group ServicesACI Adjustment group provides assistance with insurance claim investigation in storm, fire, water damage, and all other common insurance claims. The services we provide include:
- Insurance policy review to help you understand the terms and conditions of your insurance policy.
- Evaluating damages that are covered under your insurance policy.
- Proving the damages done to your property so that you get claim money according to the damage.
- Following up with your insurance claim process to get it processed fast.