Do you want to know how long home insurance claims take? Here's everything on the subject.
30 days! That's the average time taken to settle a home insurance claim in the US.
But how did Joe next door get his claim check in 5 days?
Why are you still waiting for the check to be issued even though it has been three months since you filed the claim?
Well, the answer to that lies in two things:
- Uncertainty, and...
- Lack of a federal law that obligates the insurance companies to pay claim money in a said period of time.
Yes, the leader of the free world and the greatest of the nations has NO LAW to set a time limit for insurance agencies to pay claim money. Live with it!
But the question still remains, how long do home insurance claims take?
So does that mean it is up to the insurance companies to pay the money whenever they want? Well, pretty much yes. Some states do have laws in place for this but they have certain “relaxations” that enable insurers to pay the claim money when they want.
But what are the factors that dictate how long it would take for your insurance claim to be processed?
How Long Do Home Insurance Claims Take - The Governing Factors
The thing that you need to understand here is that no two claims are the same.
There are a lot of things about a property insurance claim that can influence the time it takes to be processed. The main things that have a say in the time it takes for an insurance claim to be processed include:
- The type of the damage for which you are getting the claim.
- The estimated claim amount.
- Any difference between the estimate for the repair by the contractor and the insurer.
- The time specified by the insurance agency to settle the claim.
- The time limit given by the state law to settle the claim.
- The operational policies of the insurance agency.
- The number of claims the insurer currently has at hand.
However, you can speed up the process to get the claim money soon. For this you'll need the help of a public adjuster. But who even is a public adjuster?
Speeding up Property Insurance Claim Process - Public Adjusters
Public adjusters are independent companies specializing in presenting and following up property insurance claims on behalf of the homeowners.
It has been established by research that a public adjuster can reduce the time taken to get insurance money to as much as under three weeks. Not only that, they can also help you get as much as 700% more money from the insurer.
If someone can work wonders for you like that, they must charge a hefty fee upfront, Right?
Wrong. Law prohibits them from charging you a single penny before you accept a settlement offer from the insurer.
Once you get the money from the insurer, they'll charge you in the form of a contingency fee. That is limited to 20% of the claim amount by most of the states.
That's nothing keeping in view the fact that they can make it possible for you to get as much as 7 times more money from the insurance company.
Now you know how long do home insurance claims take.
ACI Adjustment Group ServicesACI Adjustment group provides assistance with insurance claim investigation in storm, fire, water damage, and all other common insurance claims. The services we provide include:
- Insurance policy review to help you understand the terms and conditions of your insurance policy.
- Evaluating damages that are covered under your insurance policy.
- Proving the damages done to your property so that you get claim money according to the damage.
- Following up with your insurance claim process to get it processed fast.