If you get your property damaged due to any reason, you would be eager to know how long it would take to get the claim check.
Well, it depends on a number of factors that can include but are not limited to:
- The type of damage your property has sustained.
- The cause of the damage.
- The insurance company you are working with.
- The state you are living in.
- The method you choose to prove the damage to the insurance company.
- The terms and conditions of your insurance policy.
- Whether you follow the case yourself or hire a lawyer.
Laws Surrounding the Payment of Insurance Claims
There is no federal law in the US that dictates the period of time insurance companies are given to settle property insurance claims.
Some states have state-level laws for this and others have none. If you live in Missouri, Kansas, Texas, or California, you have a better chance of getting paid in time.
Here are the laws of these states:
- Missouri law states that the insurance company is bound to accept or reject an insurance claim within 10 days. If the insurance company needs more time, they are required to update the homeowner about the status of the claim every 45 days.
- According to the laws of the state of California, the insurance companies are required to accept or deny insurance claims within 40 days of the submission of all required documents. Once the insurance company has accepted the claim, they are required to release the claim money within 30 days.
- The state of Kansas requires insurance companies to accept or reject insurance claims within 30 days of submission. If the insurer requires more time, they can get it but they must update the insured of the status of their claim every 45 days. There is no specified period of time for the companies to issue the check once a claim has been accepted.
- Insurance companies in the state of Texas are required to accept or reject a claim within 15 days of the submission of all required documents. Once a claim has been accepted, the insurance company must release the money within 5 days.
How to Speed Up Your Property Claim Process
There are a number of legal aspects involved in getting insurance claims.
You can totally do the whole process by yourself but that is not the smart approach. This will not only take a lot of time but you might also end up getting far lower settlement than the actual losses your property has incurred.
The smart approach is to hire a public adjuster like ACI Adjustment Group.
ACI Adjustment Group ServicesACI Adjustment group provides assistance with insurance claim investigation in storm, fire, water damage, and all other common insurance claims. The services we provide include:
- Insurance policy review to help you understand the terms and conditions of your insurance policy.
- Evaluating damages that are covered under your insurance policy.
- Proving the damages done to your property so that you get claim money according to the damage.
- Following up with your insurance claim process to get it processed fast.