There can be no definitive answer to that. A home insurance claim is not a simple thing. There are a number of things that go into processing a home insurance claim. To understand how this whole thing works, let’s see step by step what happens from the moment your home gets damaged to the time you get the insurance money.
Timeline of Home Insurance Claim Processing
The Claim is Reported
The first thing a homeowner is supposed to do in case of damage to their property is to inform the insurer. Depending on the insurer, this can be done via online portals, phone calls or by walking into their office. Once the claim has been reported, the job of the insurance company starts.
The Claim is Acknowledged
The insurance company must acknowledge the claim within a period of time specified by the state in which the property is located. This varies from state to state but is generally around 15 days.
An Agent is Assigned to Your Case
Upon the acceptance of the claim, the insurance company assigns an agent who will guide you through the claim. They will meet with you and discuss the whole procedure.
This step is the most critical one. This is where it is decided how much insurance money you’ll get. The claim professional assigned to you will survey the property and collect important facts and figures to come up with an estimate of the damages.
Most of the states allow a maximum of 30 to 45 days for evaluating a claim once it has been accepted.
If the claim is simple, it can be paid right after the evaluation. In case of complicated claims, it can take some time and a number of negotiation meetings before you get paid.
How Much Time Does it Actually Take for Insurance Money to be Paid?
Studies have shown that, on average, it takes around 30 days for home insurance claims to be paid. However, it can take a lot more than that because:
- There is no federal law that specifies a period of time within which property insurance claims must be settled.
- Some states have such laws but they have loopholes in them that insurance companies may tend to take advantage of.
- Every insurance claim is different and that makes it impossible for all of them to be solved in the same amount of time.
- If the insurance company offers you a compensation that can not cover the totality of your losses, things can go into negotiation which can increase the time taken to get the money.
- If the damage is caused by a natural disaster, the insurance company can be overloaded and that can lead to longer processing times.
If you want to get full compensation for your losses and want to get it as soon as possible, you need the services of a public adjuster.
ACI Adjustment Group ServicesACI Adjustment group provides assistance with insurance claim investigation in storm, fire, water damage, and all other common insurance claims. The services we provide include:
- Insurance policy review to help you understand the terms and conditions of your insurance policy.
- Evaluating damages that are covered under your insurance policy.
- Proving the damages done to your property so that you get claim money according to the damage.
- Following up with your insurance claim process to get it processed fast.